Feb 23, 2013

My Favorite Allergy-Free Craft Supplies

As you've seen in my previous posts, I've had to modify every area of my life to live with a latex allergy. This includes crafting! Latex or other chemicals are in so many items it's unbelievable, so I've rounded up some of my favorite supplies to share with you. Some just make my life easier in general, others I've researched to ensure I don't react. Manufacturers think it's fun to constantly change their processes and add in unpleasant surprises, though, so if you have allergies as well, be sure to contact the manufacturer before purchasing anything.

This Cricut Paper Trimmer is a lifesaver when it comes to my upcycled magazine crafts. Plus, it's on sale for $7.97 right now- reduced from $29.99! It's great for scrapbooking or any other paper crafts and ensures smooth, even cuts with the sliding razor blade. The blade is securely covered so that klutzes don't cut themselves- myself included! I can stack at least 5 pages at a time to cut, usually more. It's made entirely of plastic (aside from the metal blade), so no reactions there! (I do always let everything air out for at least a couple of days regardless of what it is made from, just to be on the safe side.)





I just received a 30-count pack of Elmer's Washable All-Purpose School Glue Sticks a couple days ago. While back-to-school sales on glue sticks are always the best, I'm almost out of glue sticks, and I have to be picky. Fortunately, these are free of all my allergens, including gluten and latex. This pack is $14.75, which averages out to around 49 cents per glue stick. I use these for my magazine paper crafts too, and they work just as well as the more expensive glue sticks that I used to use.


Instead of Mod Podge I make my own sealant from a 50/50 mix of water and Elmer's Glue-All . I know some people don't like this mixture, but I've used it for at least a couple years and my coasters are still good. The best deal is to buy a gallon of it, which is on sale right now for $16.07. Buying the gallon size is at least 10 cents cheaper per ounce than smaller containers, and it lasts a long time!


Some of my crafts, like my paper flowers, I offer in a variety of colors. I've found that the easiest, most effective, and cheapest method of coloring old paper is to use a simple watercolor wash. I've found that Crayola's 8ct Washable Watercolors is both up to the task and affordable. Most importantly, it's allergy friendly! This particular one is available in an add-on for $1.97 if you need a little extra to bump up your order to $25 for free shipping. (Prime members get free two-day shipping on tons of stuff and it's very affordable for anyone that does a lot of online shopping.)

While these are just a few of my go-to craft supplies, they are some of my most used and tested. As always, be sure to check Amazon prices before checking out as they do change frequently. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment