Feb 18, 2013

Extra Moola


Update: I've since returned to Listia as they seem to have changed some of their rules. My house has mostly been drastically cleared out (thank you allergies) but I still have some random things to go. Hoping it goes well!
Are you a fan of selling on eBay? Me too…. sort of. Since 2000 I’ve been selling various things online, and have developed quite the strategy. It, of course, is also a work in progress as websites change, demand ebbs and flows, and life just plain marches on.
eBay: Personally, I won’t post anything I value at less than $5 on eBay as I don’t find it’s worth my time. (Everything under $5 goes on Facebook, and more!) The site offers 50 free listings per month as long as you limit yourself to just one picture and

Money!
half.com: Perfect for textbooks! You’ll undoubtedly make more selling your textbooks here than to the college bookstore. Worth a quick search for any newer books you’re selling.
etsy: Granted, my upcycled items go up here (sometimes), but etsy has expanded to vintage items now! This is where I post vintage sewing patterns, some books, and other vintage/antique items that are more funky or artsy/craftsy. One listing is 20 cents for 3 months and their chunk of change from sales is very reasonable. I’ve made 12 sales on etsy, though I admit I have not given it the attention I should have- nor have I made use of any of the extra advertising tools. Overall, I can’t think of one complaint regarding this site, aside from the fact that it is so easy to get sucked into!
Listia: This site was wonderful! I “bought” and “sold” with credits willy nilly, even purchased most of last year’s Christmas gifts on there… up until I had issues with some less-than-honest members. Long story short, the support staff/moderators fail to enforce the rules they have posted on the website, and there were so many outrageous instances that I even submitted a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Proceed with extreme caution- if at all.
Facebook: Yes, Facebook! Believe it or not, I make more selling my items on Facebook than anywhere else. (Really!) Basically, I have multiple photo albums set up on my profile with items I am selling. Generally I price everything a dollar or two less than the cost of purchasing  a similar item from eBay. While I have a few friends who buy items from me this way, the bulk of my sales are thanks to local yard sale/ buy/ sell/ barter/ trade groups. I just discovered some national ones as well, and have made one sale thanks to one of those so far…. we’ll see how those go! (Feel free to look me up on Facebook- Leanna Reece- and you’ll see just what I’m talking about!)
yardsellr: My newest endeavor. I’ve only posted perhaps 10 or so items on this site, but have purchased some seeds for super cheap courtesy of their “photons” (basically monetary discounts). No sales yet, but time will tell.
What about shipping? Wondering where all my stuff came from? How in the world do I assign prices?
Stay tuned- these posts shall come, grasshopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment