Feb 8, 2013

Cutting the Cable Cord, Continued- The Rest of the Boxes

Did you check out my last post on getting rid of cable? If not, check that out first. You won't regret it!

Initially we discovered PlayOn, and thought that it would make all of our free TV show dreams come true. Not so. Despite all sorts of upgrades to the desktop, and even taking it to a repair shop (which confirmed that we had all the requirements to properly run the program), the feed was choppy at best. So disappointing! This of course doesn't mean it won't work for you, but it didn't for us. Poop.

Fortunately, not all was lost. Thus far we've had good times with Netflix and Amazon Prime, and have barely even scratched the surface of all the good stuff available from Roku. I'm still researching ways to get more CBS shows on Roku, which I'll update you on later!

Our other TV sets are older, and one is used pretty rarely. The other one I use pretty regularly, but I'm more easily entertained than my dear husband! We got two sets of the Roku LT Streaming Player (around $50) for those television sets, and since we now have a bajillion devices on our wireless internet, we upgraded that as well. My husband went and bought the new wireless internet device without consulting me, so we probably got ripped off on that. Grrr!

Still, while there is an initial investment, it will pay off for years and years to come! I would much rather pay $20 or less per month for my entertainment versus $60. Wouldn't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment