Feb 7, 2013

Cutting the Cable Cord: How We're Saving Money on TV!

It's happening this week. *Cue Jaws music*

Forever. The cost shall be gone

*Dah dum*

No more cable/satellite bills for us! We're making the plunge into uncharted territory, and cutting the proverbial cord!

How'd you do it?

It's so much simpler than you would imagine. Or at least, that I imagined! First, we do have high-speed internet. This wouldn't work without it. We already subscribe to that, so no extra costs there.

We have three TVs, so we bought three Roku boxes. One is the Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player. This one we placed in our living room, as it has wired (and wireless) capability. Currently it's going for a little under $100, but I was able to get one that had been opened but not used from Amazon for around $65. (Keeping an eye on things does work!)

We connected this Roku box with our old computer tower, so we have a beautiful blue wire streaming across the ceiling in our house. It will later be dropped through the walls. :)
My hubby was going to drive to town (30 miles or so) to a computer store to get a cable, but I bet him that I could get a much better deal than the $20-30 they would charge. And I did! The RiteAV - Cat5e Network Ethernet Cable - Blue - 100 ft. [Office Product] was less than seven bucks, and with Prime shipping was free! Yes, I am awesome.

Since I'd rather not bore you to death, I'll continue telling you all about our new cheap entertainment system over the next few days. So stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment