Feb 25, 2013

Make Me or Buy Me Monday: Lego Tables

Lately I've been seeing a lot of Lego table pins on Pinterest. While I don't have any kiddos, it did get me wondering about which would really be a better deal: making it or buying it?

Lego Tables: Buy Me?

One of the biggest concerns for anyone with severe allergies is in furniture, with pressed wood having a huge potential for all sorts of reactions. I have to admit, when I looked on Amazon for an idea as to prices for a new lego table, I was really quite surprised!

Blip Toys Lego Table
The cheapest one I found was this Blip Toys Lego Activity Table on sale for $94.99. In my personal opinion, this doesn't look like something you would want to keep out in a family room, and might get lost in the chaos of a kid's room. The reviews aren't that great, and refer to it being a "get what you pay for" piece. What? People shelled out 100 bucks for this and that's cheap? Surely that can't be the case, right? Wrong.

Lego Compatible Heavy Duty Table
Seeking out tables with good reviews (after all, I'm assuming a parent would make a quality table), I ended up at this Lego Compatible Heavy Duty Table-32"x32" made from real hardwood in the United States. The price? A cool $289.95- on sale! There are a number of similar tables from the same maker, all with excellent reviews as to the sturdiness. Plus, Lego brand blocks actually work with it well, as opposed to some others. But that's a lot of money for something that looks so simple!

Lego Tables: Make Me?

PreK + K Sharing's Lego Table
One of the easiest Lego table tutorials on Pinterest is courtesy of PreK + K Sharing's Blog. For less than $30, she made her own, using some handy IKEA buys. It looks both classy and sturdy, and super simple! It would not, however, be the best choice for someone with a latex allergy, though if you had an extra wood side table, you'd be good to go! (There's latex in pressed wood, you know!)

The Kids Play Ideas Lego Table
If you already have an old side table or nightstand laying around doing a whole lot of nothing, you can make a Lego table even cheaper! One handy parent on Kids Play Ideas upcycled their old side table into a handy Lego table complete with storage! With just some screws, nuts, and bolts, and a Lego plate (currently $10.62 on Amazon), they made an awesome toy and storage piece with a little ingenuity!

Lego Tables: The Take Home

The "cheap" Lego tables are expensive, but require little effort to put together. The more expensive ones will last for years to come. You can make your own Lego table with a little craftiness, some time, and less than thirty bucks. So which is it for you? Make me or buy me? The cute little Lego man is waiting....

3 comments:

  1. Totally make it! I love garage sales so I'm sure I can find something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I've been looking for a 2 drawer nightstand (cheap of course) since before Christmas. My kiddos love their Legos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freecycle is a great option too!

    I'd love to see what you ladies make!

    ReplyDelete