Mar 2, 2013

Another Day, Another Reaction

Remember that blog plan I posted the other day? Perhaps I should instead call it a "this is what I want to do but probably won't be able to" plan.

I've been feeling pretty stinky lately, both literally and figuratively. A few days ago was one the most unique and funky reactions I've had.

My husband was awesome and picked up some produce at the local Save-A-Lot for me. I couldn't believe it was so good for this time of the year. It wasn't organic, but I figured since it was labeled as coming from a greenhouse it couldn't be that bad. Plus, I was craving fresh food like nothing else.

Noshing on some brightly colored bell peppers, I felt like the happiest girl in the world! But then my tongue started tingling slightly. I immediately got a bunch of Benadryl down me, which is my default action whenever I start to have any symptoms of a reaction as well. Since it takes time to get going, this is how I've been able to avoid using my epi-pens and having to call the ambulance to get me to the hospital before the epi-pen wears off.

Anyways, I went back to the peppers and noticed they were starting to taste a little weird. Chemically. Realizing that was the problem, I set them aside and tried to make a comment to one of my nearby cats. My tongue was numb! Not feeling weird or tingly, but actually numb. As in, I can't feel it there anymore.

I tried to explain what happened to my hubby after about 15 minutes, knowing that I was "out of the woods." Here's how the conversation went:

Me: "I canth feel ma tongth but ahm ak."

Hubby: *chuckles* "Huh?"

Me: "Splthe gween peppasth-"

Hubby: *uncontrollable laughter*

Me: "Shpthe-"

Hubby: *turns around* "Hold on let me get control of myself I can't stop laughing!"

We went back and forth for a little while, until we were both to the point of being unable to even look at one another without busting out laughing. I eventually wrote down what I was trying to say, that the green peppers aren't organic and they made my tongue numb. And this is what it sounded like:

"Splthe gween peppasth awen't argwanic and splthay made ma tongue numbbbb."

If we didn't have a sense of humor about all the crazy stuff caused by this latex allergy, I don't know how we'd get through. Just another day in paradise, where we bring another meaning to speaking in tongues!

No comments:

Post a Comment