Mar 25, 2013

Make Me or Buy Me Monday: Laundry Detergent

As I'm about to make another round of laundry soap, this post seems especially appropriate today. Happy laundry soap to you!

Laundry Detergent: Buy Me?

Sneaking around on Amazon, I searched specifically for liquid, non-toxic, fragrance free laundry detergent for sensitive skin. Granted, it is quite a mouthful, but I was trying to find something to compare to my laundry detergent. The only product fulfilling these requirements were the NaturOli EXTREME 18X Soap Nuts Liquid Laundry Detergent (also a household cleaner).

Personally, I've never tried this product, but I've heard rave reviews. Currently available for $16.95 for an 8-ounce bottle, it evidently requires just one or two squirts per load to get your clothes squeaky clean. So, unlike most commercial laundry detergents, it is mostly product rather than mostly water. Each bottle is supposed to do 96 loads.

Laundry Detergent: Make Me?

It's easy. If I can do it, you can too. But, it does take some time and a bit of energy. My laundry detergent recipe is non-toxic, eco-friendly, and safe to use for children. Plus, if anyone is going to react to it, it's going to be me. Look Mom, no reactions!

My homemade laundry soap is incredibly cheap too, averaging out to around 50 cents per gallon for us without buying the ingredients on sale. It requires maybe one or two hours of your time for every ten gallons of detergent you go through, and doesn't leave your friends in a chemical-induced stupor every time you walk by them.

Laundry Detergent: The Take Home

Now that my brain hurts from the math, I figured out the sheer numbers in terms of cost per load:

I checked the math, and while I could be experiencing "stupid fog," I don't believe I made a mistake. Granted, the time required to make the laundry detergent should be taken into account, but knowing exactly what is in a potentially product certainly gives me peace of mind.

So, which is it for you? Make Me or Buy Me?

No comments:

Post a Comment