Mar 4, 2013

Make Me Or Buy Me Monday: Lime Juice

Recently I ordered a big order from Schwan's and had to clear out my freezer, which I hadn't done for much too long! In the back I pulled out a plastic bag full of limes, which I'd picked up last summer for free at a thrift store near my mom's house.

This left me with a whole bunch of limes that I can no longer keep in the freezer. I found just one recipe to use it up, Key Lime Pie Cheesecake Porridge. (I'll post the recipe later this week as it tastes amazing and is super easy.)

Naturally I got to thinking about comparing the prices of making your own lime juice versus buying it.

Lime Juice: Make Me?

Obviously the cost of the limes in this case was free, but this was pure luck. I found that the best way to maximize the juice is to roll the lime before cutting it in half and squeezing the juice out. I don't have one of those handy little juice-getters (what are those things called?), and don't really feel the need to buy one unless it's super cheap. It really took a lot of limes to get much lime juice, but it was easy to do and required no investment.

Once I run out of lime juice, I'll definitely have my husband keep an eye out for cheap limes, but since you don't get much lime juice from one lime, I'll probably go back to buying lime juice.

Lime Juice: Buy Me?


Checking out my good standby Amazon, I found the Santa Cruz 100 % Organic Lime Juice at $4.59 for 16 ounces. It ships free with a $49 order from Vitacost, otherwise shipping is $4.99. I'm cheap, so I'm not a big fan of that deal.

The best deals, not surprisingly, are the bulk deals on organic lime juice. The Lakewood Organic PURE Lime Juice 12.5-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 12) will get you 12 bottles of 12.5 ounces each for $57.73. Shipping is free with your Prime membership, or with Super Saver Shipping!

Lime Juice: The Take Home

Personally, I've not noticed a huge difference between fresh and bottled lime juice, and it's just fine and dandy after being frozen for almost a year. It's easy to make if you have limes around, but since I'm unable to go to grocery stores, I'll likely order mine from Amazon once I run out. So, which is it for you? Make me or buy me?

No comments:

Post a Comment