Mar 20, 2013

Early Menopause Is Fun: Dealing with Cold Flashes

In my last post, you read about my experience with cold chills and hot flashes during the course of one day. I am still majorly struggling with them, so I'm off to the depths of the Internet to find ideas of how to cope with them. Today I'm especially cold, so right now I'll focus on ways to treat cold flashes that I've found. 

What are cold flashes?

Basically, cold flashes are the opposite of a hot flash. Some people use the term "cold chills" instead, but in my opinion that term doesn't describe it as well as a flash. When you have the flu you get the chills. For me, at least, this isn't the same experience.

Personally, I feel cold to the bone. If I am the sun when in the middle of a hot flash, I am Pluto during a cold flash. My nose, feet, and hands sometimes become numb, and no amount of blankets or additional clothing warms me up. 

What can trigger cold flashes?

From what I've read, there are a number of things that can trigger a cold flash during menopause, whether it is natural menopause or surgical menopause. These include stress, sugar, nicotine, alcohol, and food additives. Naturally, cold weather and cold drinks can also make you bleeping cold. Of course, sometimes your body just decides to be difficult and cause you problems for no obvious reason. :)

What are some medical treatments for cold flashes?

HRT, or hormone replacement therapy, may be recommended by a gynecologist, particularly if there are other troubling symptoms of menopause along with the chills. Other medications such as low doses of antidepressants, gabapentin, and clonidine may also provide relief.

In my case, I'm already on a low dosage of an antidepressant for managing fibromyalgia, and am doing everything I can to avoid hormone replacement therapy.

What are some natural treatments for cold flashes?

I've happily found a number of natural ideas for treating cold chills, some of which seem like common sense, others which seem a bit scary. I'll be sharing those with you tomorrow, so tune in!

Please consult your physician before beginning any treatment plan. I'm not a medical doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment