Apr 26, 2013

Payback: A You-Know-What


A few months back I went to a doctor for one of those useless disability evaluations. Before I even walked in the door I had a bad gut feeling, but I didn't have a choice- I had to go in.

The place just gave me a bad vibe. I wanted to turn around and run. Years of relying on my instincts in dangerous situations in social work were screaming at me. The ladies at the front desk were just plain rude. I got called back when my hubby and mom had left the waiting room for a minute, and I informed the ladies at the office that they needed to come back with me. I'm doing much better now at identifying when a reaction is starting, but not so much then.

Naturally, while I was in the back they refused entry to both my mom and my husband.

The nurse was about to check my vital signs, after I had informed her of the latex allergy. I asked if the blood pressure cuff was latex free. She literally waved it in front of my face and taunted me! "Look, there's no rubber here! I don't see any rubber, do you? Nope, no latex here!" (This was only 1 or 2 weeks after I had a hysterectomy, so I wasn't exactly feeling so great anyways.)

I had taken my boots off to be weighed. I looked at my boot, looked at her. Back and forth. I seriously considered throwing my boot at her, but I decided it wasn't worth the effort. Instead I covered myself with my winter coat and refused to let her touch me until I could see myself that it was safe.

At least the doctor didn't make me take off my respirator or gloves, but the so-called exam was a joke.

So, fast forward 2/3 months. Remember my bad gut feeling about the place? There was a reason for that. The DEA raided the place. The doctors and some employees have since been arrested. Evidently there was all sorts of crazy stuff going on with pain killers, in a number of cases resulting in death.

Payback's a you-know-what. It's especially nice when it comes along during this life. ;)

Everyone will get theirs. What goes around comes around. It's been oh-so-satisfying to see that actually happen.

In all things, be safe. Listen to your gut. And don't be afraid to look at people like they are flipping idiots, because if they won't listen to you, they are indeed idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment