Apr 23, 2013

Confession #4: Sometimes It Seems Like More Pain Would Help

Some days I hurt so bad that I think that it would actually help to cause myself more pain. This seems to be more common on days when I have a migraine. On those days in particular I think that hitting my head against the wall would actually help the pain. Would it? Of course not!

Why do I have these thoughts and urges? I've never acted on them, of course, but what is the rationale in causing oneself more pain intentionally? I tried to find information about this, but the only thing I'm finding is in regards to individuals that are severely depressed.

Perhaps it is simply my mind attempting to come up with a distraction to the pain, no matter how ridiculous. I have no desire to actually hurt myself, I just want the pain to stop! Unfortunately, on my worst days, the only solution to the pain is to take medicine that knocks me out and sleep all day.

Do you ever have these thoughts and impulses? What do you think the cause is?

No comments:

Post a Comment