Nov 30, 2012

Food Drama: Part 1


Growing up, I had awful allergies (something else associated with fibro). I was literally allergic to everything I was tested for in the environment. However, I was never tested for food allergies, and was always enthusiastic to tack on "but I'm not allergic to any food!" at the end of my allergy list. But was this really true? I'll never know for certain...

A few years ago I was tested for food allergies and was found to be allergic to wheat, rice, lettuce, garlic, and soy. Talk about limiting! I dare you to go to a grocery store and pick up a random box. I can just about guarantee that it has one of these ingredients in it- at least. However, I was permitted to eat each allergic food once every 3 days. But... then I felt like crud and had awful allergies the next day. So out it all went!
For years I had sinus infections 9-10 months out of every year. Yeah. Sinus surgery didn't help at all, and I ended up on harmful antibiotics all the time. Referred to a different otolaryngologist (my last one wouldn't see me because I owed him money), I was given Diflucan and  put on the Candida diet for a month. At the time I was staying with my mother at the only job I was able to find then, and she almost lost her jaw when I told her what I couldn't eat for the next month. No cheese, no sugar, limited fruit- what in the world was I to eat!
Needless to say, we figured something out, and it could not have been more worth it. Currently I am not on the diet, but do have to limit my sugar and cheese intake. Whenever I fail to do so, I end up with a sinus infection and put myself back on the Candida diet until it's cleared up. Works EVERY time- no antibiotics, no Dr. visit, no Mucinex! (Diet #2)

Sounds like enough of a challenge, right? Of course not! Stay tuned for Part 2 with more fun food adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment